Family FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get an absence excused?

Parents are allowed to excuse 5 absences per semester (for a total of 10 per year). In order to get an absence excused a note must be written and turned into the attendance office (the school does not have a sick line). If a student is signed out or comes to school tardy, in order to make this an excused tardy a note must also be written, but this will use one of the 5 absences for the semester (this note must be turned in when the student is signed out or arrives at school). If a student is tardy because of a doctor, dental or court appointment and a note is turned in with the correct date on it, the tardy is automatically excused and it does not count against the 5 absences for the semester. All absence notes must be turned in within 5 days of the absence to the attendance office.

How can a student get signed out of school?

Parents/guardians with a photo ID need to report to the attendance office to sign out their child. If the student drives to school and needs to be signed out during the day, they must bring a note from their parent/guardian, first thing in the morning, to the attendance office with a phone number where the parent/guardian can be reached. Only after a parent/guardian is contacted, will the student be allowed to sign themselves out. If the attendance office can not contact the parent/guardian, the student may not sign out.

What should I do if I need to change my schedule or have a specific scheduling problem (i.e., no classes scheduled for 2nd period)?

Students with scheduling issues need to obtain an add/drop form front the guidance department (with the first 10 school days of the semester) or make an appointment with their guidance counselor to address scheduling problems. Students should not ask their classroom teachers to write passes to go to the guidance department during class. Students should go to the guidance department to resolve these issues between classes.

What happens if a student loses their ID?

All students on campus are given one ID free of charge and are responsible for maintaining that ID throughout the school year. If a student loses their ID, they must purchase another ID from the media center for a cost of $5.00.

When do students receive their lockers/locks?

Student lockers may be rented for $5.00 and they will be assigned in the first two weeks of school during lunch.

When can students purchase a P.E. uniform?

Physical Education (P.E.) uniforms cost $20.00 and can be purchased through the student's P.E. teacher or during Freshmen Orientation, which is usually held the week before school starts.

Where do students pick up the Student Code of Conduct?

The student code of conduct is available online HERE and in the Dean's office. 

Where can I obtain information on student lunches (i.e., menus, free and reduced lunch forms, etc.)?

Free and reduced lunch forms are available through the cafeteria. Information on lunch menus and pricing is available HERE.

My child has a medicine that needs to be administered every day, can they bring it in themselves?

Students who have a valid prescription may have their medicine kept with the high school nurse. The school nurse or an authorized administrator must administer all medication. For prescription medications, a doctor must complete a form. Parents must bring in medication to the nurse's office. For non-prescription medications, parents may bring in medication and complete the form themselves in the clinic.

Where can students obtain information on parking permits?

Parking/parking permit information can be obtained in the MHS front office. Here is the driving/parking information packet.

Where can I find other information, such as the school calendar, supplemental services offered, and the parent resource guide?

Other helpful information for parents is available on the district website.

When are report cards and progress reports distributed?

Report cards will be distributed on November, February, April and June. Progress reports will be given out in September, December, February and May.

How do I know who my child's counselor is?

Guidance counselors are assigned to students based on alphabetical order, students with the last names starting with:
A - E are with Ms. Davis
F - Le are with Mrs. Trimmer
Li - Ri are with Mrs. Sawyer
Ro - Z are with Mrs. Feist

When is tutoring offered?

We will begin tutoring on TBD and it will tentatively run through TBD. The ending date may change if any of the EOCs are finished prior to that date.